Thursday, September 4, 2008

Quakes Radio and TV




Radio in English….please?

Have you not been fortunate enough to attend Quakes games in-person at the South Bay San Siro? You don’t have Comcast Sportsnet, Fox Soccer Channel, HDnet, etc? If you are a Quakes fan in your vehicle away from your tv, you still have an alternative way to experience each Quakes game live – on the radio.

Oooops. Did I mention that you also need to be fluent in Spanish to take advantage of the radio coverage? Yep. The Quakes radio station KLOK broadcasts each Quakes game over the radio in espanol. Why don’t the Quakes have an alternative broadcast in English? From my perspective, it doesn’t help in building the English-speaking fan base here in the Bay Area. I am certain we are talking about big money to secure airtime on an AM or FM frequency in the Bay Area. Maybe something creative can be developed – don’t the Oakland A’s have a radio station AND aren’t the Quakes also owned by those very same people that make the moves for the A’s? I say keep the KLOK Spanish broadcast, but please find us another frequency for an English broadcast!




A word about broadcasting and calling play-by-play:

I have never enjoyed the typical ESPN football commentators for MLS or US MNT games (World Cup, Champions League, and Euro Cup coverage is fine). BORING. I really enjoy the animation that comes with Spanish-speaking tv broadcasters - sooooo much energy and excitement (Gooooooooooooooooooool!). I can usually only pick up a few words here and there, but the game is so much more enjoyable to watch. I have heard local John Schrader broadcast televised recent Quakes games (Comcast Sports Net) and I have to say I am impressed. He does a great job – his “goal” calls are almost as exciting as Mexican league announcers on telemundo! I think John would also be a great candidate should the Quakes ever get an English radio broadcast going.


John Schrader + San Jose Earthquakes!


No comments: