Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Comments on "Kicking It"



I received my DVD copy of "Kicking It", the documentary film on the Homeless World Cup. I sat down last night to view it in it's entirety (I only caught the last 15 minutes of it when it was aired on ESPN a couple of weeks ago). What an amazimng film! Football is a universal language - even amonst the world's homeless population. It provides a glimpse into the lives of a few of the players and their life struggles. It was said that one of the men, Jesus from Spain, at one time in his life played for Real Madrid (he is 60+ years old now). He became an alchoholic, robbed banks, and I think served prison time. He is currently living in a shelter in Spain. They only won 1 game (out of maybe a dozen) games during the 2006 Homeless World Cup, but their celebration after that victory was so emotional. I think the one thing that I will remember most from this film were the comments from players that said playing football at the Homeless World Cup actually helped them to feel like a "human being" again (it was stated that homeless in Russia are looked upon as less than human). Check this film out!



No comments: