Thursday, October 16, 2008

What a downer of a day

Where do I start. In the morning I was beginning to feel like I was "coming down with something". Not a good start to the day. After getting home from the office - there was a double football night to look forward to. The US MNT played a world cup qualifier at Trinidad & Tobago @ 5pm on ESPN. I watched the first half of that game and switched the channel to CSNBA to catch the beginning of the Quakes at Houston game that started at 6pm. H came over too - to watch football and enjoy enchiladas made by my beauftiful bride, K. Turns out the enchiladas were the highlight of the night.


The U.S. MNT ended up losing their game 2-1. Congrats to T&T - this was their first win over the U.S.....EVER. It was too bad the US lost, but they didn;t field their strongest team and they are so far ahead in the Group A qualifier standings that a loss doesn't hurt them.

Now to the more important game of the evening....Quakes vs. Dynamo. Let's get the bad news over with - the Quakes lost 2-1. Ever since the Quakes ended their undeafeated streak, about 5 games ago, they seem like they are sleepwalking through games. My thoughts:

(1) Opposing teams have adjusted to the Quakes attack that was created with the additions of Huckerby, Lima, Alvarez, and Sealy. They have figured away to shut it down and the Quakes have not/or are unable to counter adjust.

(2) Fatigue and injury: We really miss Ramiro Corrales in the midfield. His absense has been a big loss. But in addition to Ramiro's absense - I think fatigue and just those late-season nagging injuries are catching up with the team. All of this attributes to diminished speed, slower movement away from the ball, less accuracy on passes, and more unforced errors overall.
The night ended with me going to sleep early with a fever. Humph.

The reality of making playoffs is fading fast. I am a man of faith, so I know miracles can happen. Keep praying!










No comments: