Thursday, July 30, 2009

Why blog?

I was listening to a NPR program this morning about the blogging phenomenon. People "blog" to share their thoughts on a subject that they are interested in or are "experts" in. People "blog" to journal their lives and share it with friends. Others "blog" because they see a potential business opportunity if your blog can attract alot of interest from the general population of the world.

What category do I fall in? I guess just sharing thoughts on this global game that has has captured the sports fan in me. I grew up in the SF Bay Area and as a youngster was a big fan of the Oakland Athletics (Major League Baseball), Oakland Raiders (National "American" Football League), and the Golden State Warriors (National Basketball Association). Later, I became an avid supporter of University of California - Berkeley athletics (particularly American football and basketball. "Cal" is my alma mater and will always have a place in my heart as a sports fan. I think college sports has the added "emotional" factor beyond what pro sports bring out of their fans. It is hard to explain in words - it is like "you go as your team goes" and traveling to see your team compete is never a hard decision. Plus your wardrobe retains distinct colors (in my case - blue & gold!).

The only "professional" sport that has even come close to this sense of "attachment" between team and supporter is football. My home team is the San Jose Earthquakes (Major League Soccer). No matter how they are playing or where they are in the league table, you support them to your fullest at every match and away from the pitch. This is further enhanced because with the MLS (unlike the well-know international leagues in Europe), money is not the only driving force. Players for the most part are not making huge amounts of money (most are probably just eeking out a living), but they stay in it for their love of the game and fulfilling their dreams of being a pro footballer. As a supporter - winning is important, but the I think the true fan supports a team all of the time (win, lose or draw).

No comments: