Friday, June 5, 2009

Kaka' Rumors, World Soccer Daily Controversy, etc.

Where will Kaka' end up next year? I have heard rumors about Real Madrid and Chelsea. I have also heard that he has not intention of leaving and wants to stay at ACM. I think I need to start another rumor...


World Soccer Daily....Liverpool FC Controversy

Just as I discover this daily soccer radio program/podcast - there is a controversy that has many Liverpool FC supporters from around the world calling for a boycott of this program as well as a boycott of all of WSD's sponsors. What is the issue? I has to do with some comments made by one of the WSD hosts - Steve Cohen - and comments that he made on the program with respect to a tragedy known as the "Hillsborough 96". Because I am such a newbie to this sport, I had to do some research. The Hillsborough 96 refers to a disaster that occurred on April 15, 1989, at Hillsborough stadium (the home of Sheffield FC). 96 Liverpool FC supporters were crushed to death within the stadium crowd. From what I understand, thousands of people - some without tickets - were pushing into the stadium through a narrow gateway. As people continued to push in, the section in the stadium also felt the pressure and those closest to the field were crushed up against a fence/barrier between the stands and the pitch.


I have not gone back to find the podcast where the WSD/Cohen comments were made, but the response has involved death threats and other acts of violence (on top of the recommended boycotts). Here are his comments - he focused his questions on those ticketless fans that contributed to the situation. Cohen did make a public apology, but I have read that Liverpool FC supporters did not accept it. More later.








href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster


No comments: